Sparky Jr.

System Requirements for SparkyJoystick and SkypeSparkySever?

Hey guys,

I am a little bummed because when I tried to run both of these on my G4 Mac Mini, I got the "not supported on this architecture" message. This probably means that it won't run on PPC platforms unless I am missing something.

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My worry about building the G4 version is that the processor in the G4 is too slow for Skype.

What OS are you running (Leopard or Tiger?) I can build the programs and post them if you'd like. It might take me a week or so depending on what version of OS X you are running. I have a Leopard, Tiger and a Panther machine lying around I think (may not have Panther which is 10.3).
My mini has Leopard 10.5.8 1GB RAM, 1.25mhz G4, so it is definitely on the low end. But, I will proceed if you post the code even with the lag. Thank you so much for doing it, and don't worry about the time frame. It will take about a week before I get the serial to USB cable from iRobot anyway.

Also, think how much you will be advancing the Sparky Jr. community. My version will differ greatly from the original sparky in that it:

1. uses a PPC Mac Mini
2. Uses another type of Webcam
3. Uses possibly another controller (a Logitech joystick)
4. Uses a Hacked Roomba, instead of a Create
5. The first version of mine won't have a screen--but I have a 12" LCD with a add on touchscreen that I will add if everything works.

Well, I hope that inspires you. I am greatly enjoying this, so thanks so much.

I promise to document everything and post to the site my joys and failures.

Thanks again,

Mike
Hey Johnny, have you had a chance to tinker with the PPC version yet?

Johnny Celenz said:
My worry about building the G4 version is that the processor in the G4 is too slow for Skype.

What OS are you running (Leopard or Tiger?) I can build the programs and post them if you'd like. It might take me a week or so depending on what version of OS X you are running. I have a Leopard, Tiger and a Panther machine lying around I think (may not have Panther which is 10.3).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Marque Cornblatt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service